Thursday, April 3, 2014

Reflection #1: Unit Q: Verifying Trig Identities

1. Verifying a trig function means to get one side of the problem to equal the other. Think of it as proofs from Geometry. It's related to it because identities are being used to get the final answer. When you are verifying a trig function you should know what your identities are or else you're going to have a bad time.
2. The most helpful tip was that you can't divide a trig function by another trig function and that when in doubt, square the function. Squaring the function is a lot more work because of the extraneous solutions but it's better than staring at the paper wondering what to do next. The most important tip is to memorize all of the identities so it'll make verifying it a lot easier.
3. When I am given a trig function to verify I first look at the identities to see what I am going to use. I also check if I am going to have to multiply to get the least common denominator or when I have to move something over to the other side to make the function equal 0. When i have a function that is squared I take out the GCF and I usually end up with a Pythagorean Identity. If I'm stuck, I square the functions to see if I can go somewhere with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment